Sunday 31 January 2016

"I am a great admirer of mystery and magic. Look at this life - all mystery and magic." - Harry Houdini _ #sundaysunset at Aberystwyth, Wales, UK. _ This was my favourite sunset from our 1-month road trip around Wales in November-December 2014. Aberystwyth is a beautiful seaside town during the day, but at sunset it is pure magic. _ This town is also memorable for another reason. We we stayed in a holiday cottage about 45 minutes from here. And on my wife's birthday I wanted to get her a special cake. Unfortunately the bakery in the small town near our house had shut down. _ So I made the 45-minute drive to Aberystwyth in search of cake. After visiting 5 different bakeries I was still empty handed. It appeared no one in this town ever heard of birthday cake, let alone knew where to buy one. About to give up, I tried one last recommendation, a small cafe not much bigger than your kitchen. To my surprise they had 1 cake in their display window, a lemon meringue pie - my wife's favourite! A price tag next to it said £4. I though that was per slice so I enquired about the price for the whole pie. The staff member said that's it. Yep £4 for a whole pie bigger than my head. _ 2.5 hours after leaving our house I returned triumphantly with cake in hand. I had been determined to make this a birthday to remember. And it was definitely that, for the most unexpected reasons. _ #wales #igerswales


No comments:

Post a Comment